This page is a guide to various terms, acronyms and phrases used throughout the Institute's website. It is under constant expansion (by which we mean new terms are added on the rare occasion that our undergraduates are bored of playing hallway soccer and can't find anything to watch on TV). Please peruse this list before sending us time-wasting emails along the lines of "What's a 'daqirè'?" or "What does 'Dè Cirikò' mean?"
(Please note: Terms begining with the plurifier
mon are indexed by their second word. ie:
Mon Dolfin is indexed under 'd' not 'm'.)
- "AS-3". The third of the
mon Arèáná Safárè, analagous to Pluto. Commonly called
- "AS-4". The fourth of the
mon Arèáná Safárè, analagous to Charon. Commonly called
- "AS-2". The second of the
mon Arèáná Safárè, analagous to Neptune. Commonly called
- "AS-1". The first of the
mon Arèáná Safárè, analagous to Uranus. Commonly called
- "Sky Beacon". The fifth and largest planet in the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Jupiter.
- The sun/star of
- "Sunmote". The first planet in the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Mercury.
- Arèáná Kirû
- "The Red Planet". The popular, unofficial title of the fourth planet in
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Mars. See
- mon Arèáná Safárè
- "The Distant Planets". The presumed seventh, eighth and ninth planets of the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.
Gorat Balzad Zurvárurn
- A traditional
Zurvárintoxicant similar to alcohol, refined from several varieties of seaweed. 'Light'
brozyácauses mild itoxication with associated losening of inhibitions and feelings of wellbeing. There is slight mental impairment, but physical reflexes are usually enhanced for the first few hours after consumption. Hangovers are mild, consisting of drowsiness and slight physical uncoordination, unless massive quantities are consumed. 'Heavy'
brozyáis more or less identical to alcohol in it's physical and mental effects. Most settlements refine their own varieties of
brozyáand much pride is taken in the flavour and quality of the local brew.
- mon Burzum Dolfinár
- Designated Dolfin Spaces on Zurvár Arèáná"Cetacean Areas". Those parts of Zurvár Arèáná ceded to the
mon Dolfinas exclusive territorial zones in ST0075. Dolfin Space (as these areas are generally referred to in English) are exempt from Zurvár law and under direct control of the
Koreb Dolfinurn Tárlán. Under the terms agreed to by the
KDTany vessel can enter Dolfin Space without permission, but must obey certain restrictions including not approaching closer than 1km to land, not dumping any waste, not engaging in any agricultural or fishery activity and limiting speed. Waters within 64km of
Pùlost Yesturare a special case, no vessel may enter this area without the explicit permission of the
KDT- a privilage that has very rarely been granted.
- Dak Bombá
- "Furthest Beach". The southernmost settlement on
Zurvár Arèánálocated at 87° 23' S, 138° 5' W
Dè Cirikò. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0082 as a polar research station and astronomical observatory. Since its linking to the
Trànànetwork in ST0093 it has become something of a tourist attraction and exotic holiday location, and several large hotels cater to those who find the idea of six continuous months of daylight or darkness appealing. It has a permanent population of around 200, with visitors numbers rising as high as 1500 at certain times of year. Its name is often (incorrectly) translated into English as "Bombay Beach".
- Any being that travels through probability. Often translated into English as 'Demon'.
- A daiquiri. A drink that has become unaccountably popular on
Zurvár Arèáná, although usually made with
brozyárather than alcohol.
- Dè Cirikò
- See De Chirico Co-ordinates
- De Chirico Co-ordinates
- The system of latitude and longitude used on
Zurvár Arèáná. Longitude is calculated from a prime meridian based on the spatial location of the city of De Chirico on Metaphysica. To convert De Chirico co-ordinates to Earth's Greenwich based system, add 2° 25' to latitudes west, and subtract it from latitudes east.
- Punctuation mark - a 'break'. Indicates that the preceeding
voldránìdoes not combine with the following
Gorat mon Dìad Mantábon
Gorat Mantábon Dìaz
- mon Dolfin
- "Cetaceans". A general term for the sentient marine mammals (several species of dolphins, porpoises and small whales) that colonised the oceans of Zurvár Arèáná in the ST0070's. The
mon Dolfinoriginally inhabited the Pacific Ocean of Otherworld One. In ST0072 they contacted Zurvár resident on Otherworld One and requested asylum on
Zurvár Arèánáto escape increasing pollution and hazards such as drift net fishing. Their request was granted, and 1,238 cetaceans were relocated. In ST0075 a number of remote and uninhabited island chains were ceded to the
mon Dolfinas exclusive territorial zones exempt from Zurvár law and under direct control of the
Koreb Dolfinurn Tárlánor Cetacean High Council - these areas are refered to as
mon burzum Dolfináror "Dolfin Space". The current Dolfin population of
Zurvár Arèánástands at around 2000 (accurate figures are not forthcoming from the
mon Dolfinwho take an extremely relaxed attitude to statistics) and relations between the Dolfin and Zurvár inhabitants of the planet are excellent.
- Dolfin man Zurvár Korebal Metrek
- "Cetacean and Zurvár Friendship Organisation". An organisation obstentiously devoted to fostering and maintaining friendly relations between the Zurvár and Cetacean inhabitants of Zurvár Arèáná. Regarded by many as nothing more that a club for juvenile malcontents of both species who enjoy pulling elaborate (although mostly harmless) hoaxes and jokes on the rest of the population while laughing like maniacs.
- Dolfin Space
mon Burzum Dolfinár.
- Emer Arèáná
- "The Night Planet". The moon of
Zurvár Arèáná. Also called
Emer Rèaklan, "The Night Surfer".
- Emer Rèaklan
- Gorat Balzad Zurvárurn
- "First City of the Zurvár". De facto capital and second largest city (pop. c600,000 in ST0104) of
Zurvár Arèáná. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0066. Official headquaters of the
Konsâtèumand location of the
Oliská Konsâtèum, the tallest building on
Zurvár Arèáná. Generally referred to as "Bal". The city flag features the traditional
Konsâtèumcolours, and the
Konsâtèumcrest. A silouette of the
Oliskáwas added in ST0080. Location: 8° 34' S, 113° 15' E
- Gorat Bárkalif Ganalû
- "City of the Great Blue Bay". The largest city on
Zurvár Arèánáwith an estimated population of 650,000 in ST0104. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0066. Famous for its eponymous bay, the
Kûbrik mon Rapat(Bridge of Swords) and its heavy reliance on wind turbines for power generation. Generally referred to as "Kalif". The city flag features the bridge, and a wind turbine. Location: 37° 50' N, 124° 11' W
- Gorat Bármárgiv
- "City of the Great Lake". One of the smaller cities with a population of about 50,000 in ST0104. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0070. Best known for the
Bármárgiv Ganalû(Great Blue Lake). Generally referred to as "Márgiv". The city flag features a golden anchor for the city's harbours and two blue strips for the lake. Location: 33° 56' S, 112° 40' E
- Gorat Karaþ Dárgurn
- "City of the Western Karaþ". Pop c120,000. Founded by private subscription in ST0066. Generally known as "Karaþ". The city flag features a traditional
takalsymbol. Location: 17° 22' S, 120° 05'
- Gorat Mantábon Dìaz
- "Free City of the Pine Tree". The smallest of the eight cities with a population of about only 20,000 in ST0104. Founded by dissenters from
Gorat mon Dìad Mantábonin ST0069. Generally known as "Dìaz". The city flag depicts a star and a cresent moon - representing the close conjunction of
Mirandáover the ocean on the evening of the official city founding - and the flag of
Gorat mon Dìad Mantábon- symbolising the settlers' origin. Location: 27° 59' S, 151° 0' E
- Gorat Mìam Doráþû
- "City of the Golden Dawn". Pop c110,000. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0067. Generally known as "Mìam". The city flag features a traditional
takalsymbol in gold, and an eight arched bridge representing the eight major bridges of the city. Location: 27° 43' N, 83° 22' W
- Gorat mon Dìad Mantábon
- "City of the Pine Groves". Pop c60,000. Founded by private subscription in ST0069. Generally known as "Dì". The city flag shows one of the pine trees that give the city its name. Location 33° 53' S, 148° 51' E
- Gorat Sûlbarn Hì
- "City of Evening Breezes". Pop c400,000. Founded by the
Konsâtèumin ST0066. Generally known as "Hì". The city flag features the traditional
Konsâtèumcolours and the word "Hì". The grey "
tranázár" figure was added after the demonic incursion of ST0075. Location 20° 21' N, 159° 58' W
- Hárùq Kanad
- "Guard Sealion". A domesticated breed of sealion - one of the only two animals domesticated by the Zurvár. Watch Seals (as
Hárùq Kanadis usually - though inaccurately - translated into English) are chiefly used to protect kelp gardens against fish predation, although it is not unsual for them to be treated as community pets. A watch seal has smooth, dark, comparatively hairless skin, stands up to a metre tall, and has a shorter snout than an Earth sealion, resulting in a face more like that of an Earth seal. They are at least as intelligent as Earth dogs and are notable for their loyalty, playfulness and curiosity - although they are a shallow water species and tend not to stray far from their home harbours. Deliberately hurting or killing a Watch Seal is considered reprehensible, and eating one (except in the most extreme circumstances) unthinkable. As an alien predator within Zurvár Arèáná's ecosystem
mon Hárùq Kanadnumbers are strictly monitored. There is only one wild colony (on
Pùlost Hárùq, just off
Gorat Bárkalif Ganalû) whose population is kept to around 300 via a regular sterilisation program.
- "Cinder". A theoretical planet inside the orbit of
Altákerek. Now believed non-existant.
Gorat Sûlbarn Hì
- Kàdašlan (mon)
- "The Dancers". The four largest moons of
- Kaþ Kárdá
- "Peace Force". The group responsible for maintaining law and order within a Zurvár city. A combination police and paramilitary group the responsibilities of Peace Force Officers range from traffic control all the way up to leading the defence of the city in a military emergency. Each of the eight cities has it's own independent
Kaþ Kárdáwhich answers to the city council.
Gorat Bárkalif Ganalû
Gorat Karaþ Dárgurn
- "Domination". Unofficial, punning name for
- A low, salt tolerant shrub of the wormwood family common in equatorial regions of Zurvár Arèáná. The name (which means "fur leaf") refers to the characteristic fuzz on the plant's leaves. It is useful for a number of purposes including as an insect repellent, a worming draught and (in small quantities) for flavouring of food and drink. Consumed in sufficient quantity (either orally or via smoking the leaves) it is a hallucinogen, although it finds little use as a recreational drug as the quantities required for hallucinogenic effect are dangerously toxic. It is usually translated into English as "wormwood".
Kazramaqmay also refer to
Pùlost Kazramaq Plaz Ranaden.
- "Order". Official name of one of the presumed two moons of
Konsâtèum Arèáná. See
Koreb Dolfinurn Tárlán
Konsâtèum Koreb mon Eket Akaláret
Konsâtèum Koreb mon Eket man Tomenak
Konsâtèum Kredatèn Mametak Kelkertaklá
- "Blowhard". Unofficial, punning name for
- Konsâtèum Arèáná
KonsâtèumPlanet". The official (and often unpopular) title of the fourth planet in the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Mars. See
- Konsâtèum Koreb mon Eket Akaláret
KonsâtèumCouncil on Astronomical Names. Established after the
Mirandáincident of ST0064 as a subsidiary body of the
Konsâtèum Koreb mon Eket man Tomenak.
- Konsâtèum Koreb mon Eket man Tomenak
KonsâtèumCouncil on Names and Navigation. Established in ST0063 to chart the geography of
Zurvár Arèánáprior to settlement.
- Konsâtèum Kredatèn Mametak Kelkertaklá
KonsâtèumSettlement Survey Authority. Established in ST0063 to oversee the settlement of
- Koreb Dolfinurn Tárlán
- "High Cetacean Council". The supreme ruling body of the
Zurvár Arèáná. Details such as the composition, number and even location of the Council are unclear, although it is a recognised legal entity under
Zurvár Arèánálaw. Some theorize that the Council is a fiction created and maintained by the
mon Dolfinto make dealing with the Zurvár Government easier. Others theorize that the Council is a fiction created and maintained as some kind of obscure
- Kûbrik mon Rapat
- "The Bridge of Swords". The tallest structure on
Zurvár Arèánáspanning the
Slárt mon Rapat(Strait of Swords) in
Gorat Bárkalif Ganalû. It is a single span suspension bridge conciously modelled on the Golden Gate Bridge in Earth's San Francisco, although with numerous
Zurvárfeatures and was constructed from ST0072 to ST0073. It carries foot and cycle traffic and the city's light railway.
- Lost Houses
mon Mòet Sìad
- Mametak Kelkertaklá Depe?
- "Settlement Survey Team". Teams were sent to
Zurvár Arèánáprior to settlement by the
Konsâtèum Kredatèn Mametak Kelkertakláto map the planet, find locations for settlements and assess hazards. Each team consisted of between eight and twenty members, and tours on the planet lasted between two and four months.
Gorat Mìam Doráþû
- Minak Kirû
- "The Red Star". Alternate name for
- Mirandá Incident
- The events sparked by
MKDmember Caklan Tâban Kèklosavik's application to name
Zurvár Arèáná'sVenus analogue after his partner in ST0064. Resulted in the the creation of the KKEA the same year.
- The second planet in the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Venus. Named in ST0064 by
MKDmember Caklan Tâban Kèklosavik sparking the "Miranda Incident".
Mametak Kelkertaklá Depe?.
- mon Mòet Sìad
- "Missing/Lost Houses". Houses
Moloqan. These houses were separated from the main host of nomadic Zurvár around -ST0230 and didn't re-establish contact until ST0032. In that time noticable differences emerged between the speech of the Lost Houses and the main Zurvár host, resulting in the
- A dialect of Zurvár spoken by members of houses
mon Mòet Sìad. These houses were separated from the main body of nomadic Zurvár around -ST0230 and didn't re-establish contact until ST0032. In that time noticable differences emerged between the language of these lost houses and mainstream Zurvár.
Moloqurnspeakers pronounce "c" as
/ʒ/, "š" as
/∫/and "ô" as closer to
/uː/than the normal
/aʊ/. They also preserve a number of archaic words and word forms, and a number of grammatical constructs (such as verb tenses) extinct in mainstream Zurvár. The majority of Moloqurn speakers reside in
Balwhere the population is as high as 4,000 or as low as 350, depending on one's definition of "pure" Moloqurn. Smaller enclaves are scattered around
Zurvár Arèánáwith maybe 1000 "Moloqurn influenced" speakers in
Kalifand 800 in
Mìam. Numbers are declining universally as the population assimilates into main Zurvár culture. There are several projects underway to record and preserve the Moloqurn dialect before it becomes completely extinct.
- "Alphabet". See
- Oksos Cufárurn
- The Zurvár Alphabet. Created by
Cufár Bekátal Kuváravik(Cufár of Bekátalá) in -ST0281 and adopted as the official writing system for the Zurvár language at the second
Wàcurátáconference in -ST0109.
- Oliská Konsâtèum
- "Konsâtèum Tower". The tallest building on
Zurvár Arèáná. Eighteen storeys and 95 metres high and located in the
Gorat Balzad Zurvárurn. Constructed in ST0079 it is notable for it's six structural pylons based on the shape of the interlaced loops of the traditional
takalsymbol. The 18 floors and glass 'curtain walls' are hung from these pylons. The roof features a radio pylon and
- A consonant in the
- Pùlost Yestur
"Yestur Island". A volcanic speck isolated in the middle of the South West Ocean and unofficial capital of the
Pùlost Yesturlies at the heart of the largest area of
Burzum Dolfináron the planet, with all waters within 128km of the island under the sovereignty of the High Council. Ceded to the
Koreb Dolfinurn Tárlánin ST0075. No Zurvár has set foot on
Pùlost Yestursince the last geological survey in ST0071. Location 27° 05' S, 107° 55' W
- Pùlost Kazramaq Plaz Ranaden
- "Wormwood Island Quarantine Facility". The only dedicated penitential facility on Zurvár Arèáná, located on an isolated island 34 kilometres due south of
Bal. It is not a prison in the traditional sense, rather it is a facility for the housing and care of those individuals considered so serious a threat that they can never be released into the community at large. As such the inhabitants are mostly extreme psychopaths and sociopaths. Although the facility is highly secure, life within it's walls is made as comfortable as possible for the inmates, who are viewed (officially at least) as victims of mental illness rather than criminals. The staff are drawn equally from the law enforcement, medical and specialist response branches of the Metaphysicians Guild, and undergo special training before taking up their roles. The facility was opened in ST0081 and was designed to house up to 200 inmates, as of January ST0106 the population stands at 86.
- Strûnarit Arèáná
- "The Metaphysician Planet". The sixth planet in the
Zurvár Arèánásolar system, analagous to Saturn.
- Sùrû Gorat
- 'The Eight Cities'. The eight largest settlements on
Zurvár Arèáná. On a more crowded world (such as Earth) most would count only as large towns.
- Traditional symbol of the
Zurvárpeople. An interlaced design of two loops, similar to Earth's 'Celtic' knotwork designs. This similarity leads some to theorise that the
Takalis of ultimate Pisk origin, although this cannot be either proved or disproved.
- "Prosperity". Official name of one of the presumed two moons of
Konsâtèum Arèáná. See
- Popular name for the 14 large
damoncádumped into the centre of
Hìby a probability storm in July ST0075. The word is derived from the Earth English "Tyranosaur", the creatures bearing some resemblance to this extinct Earth species. The creatures went on a rampage through the city and when all attempts at communication failed they were eliminated by the
Kaþ Kárdáand Citizens' Militia in a fifteen hour battle. Skeletons of two
tranázárare on display in the city museum in
Bal, and three in
tranázárhas since come to be something of a symbol of
Hìand appears on the city flag.
- A vowel in the
- A human-variant species of near-local probability. Zurvár are able to pass as Earth Standard humans under casual scrutiny, on closer examination several exotic features may be noticed. The Zurvár species has a smaller range in skin tone than Earth humans, with colouration ranging from mid-brown to light olive. Hair colour ranges from dark brown to light blonde, with occasional (although rare) occurance of deep black or red. About 60% of Zurvár have a small epicanthic fold, giving their eyes a slight almond shape. Eye colour covers the full normal human range. There is no noticable difference in build or height between Earth humans and Zurvár. Full webbing is common between the toes. Webbing between the fingers varies between virtually non-existant to all the way up to the first knuckle - the average is about halfway. Zurvár kidneys are better adapted to high levels of salts than Earth humans, a Zurvár can drink nothing but sea-water for up to two weeks without suffering ill effects - attempting a similar feat that would kill an Earth human. These differences aside, Earth humans and Zurvár are almost identical and can breed without difficulty. Children of such unions inherit a mix of features from both parents and can usually pass for either Earth Human or Zurvár.
- Z'vár Gorat
- "The Seven Cities". The original seven cities planned for
Zurvár Arèánáby the
Konsâtèum. Five (
Hì) were to be established by the
Konsâtèumand two (
Dì) by private settlement groups conforming to
Konsâtèumstandards. A schism between settlers in the
Dìsettlement group led to the establishment of an eighth city,